Tuesday, September 05, 2006

blank walls no more!

Saturday was garage sale day at my house. I did not have too many people come but enough to make $260.00! So my sweet husband let me spend all of the garage sale money on new stuff for the house. We have been in this house a year and I have not been able to spend much money on decorating. I love to decorate! It's probably one of my favorite things to do. My old house was totally different and I wanted to do something new here and I have much more room now. There has been this huge, blank wall in my living room that has been driving me totally insane. Every single time I walk pass this wall, I long for decor! I was willing to keep those walls blank instead of putting something up there just to fill space. Otherwise the blank wall would have been filled with stuff I didn't really like. I wanted something great! Finally, I have it!

Remember this from a post several months ago?

Finally!!! (and I used to have stuff sitting on my end tables but with babies, it's easier to put picture frames out of reach!)

Jeremy picked out this clock!

I am excited because my home is finally beginning to look like MY home. I got some great pictures for the kitchen too and a beautiful clock. If you read the post back in April about that empty wall, you know how much I have wanted to buy something. The Lord provided! Aren't garage sales great? It's hard moving into a new house. You want everything to be put together and every room to be decorated. Sometimes it takes time. Sometimes you have to do it one room at a time. This seems to be a common theme in my life. God is always showing me something new and I thank Him for showing me one thing at a time! Every woman wants to be proud of their home and I was proud of this home when nothing was hanging on the walls. Today I am proud of it even more.

For the past year God has been doing so many incredible things in my life. He has shown me so many new things and blessed me beyond measure. At times it seems to be a long process but when it all comes together, I feel so proud about the woman I am. I hear women say things like, "When I was your age." Or "You won't care about that when you are forty." But you know what? I am pretty darn proud of what the Lord is molding me to be. I still have lots to learn but the process is good and I am learning to rejoice in it. Decorating my home has been a process and there are still many things I want to do. Curtains, a cornice board (Jeremy is making me one this weekend!), new countertops, etc. I can't have it all at once, but I am having fun along the way. One room at a time, one project at a time. Instead of putting stuff up just fill the empty space, I think I will wait.

Sounds like God is trying to teach me something again! And what better way to speak to me than through my walls?

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

It looks AWESOME!! I can't wait to see it this week in person!! Definitely worth the wait...

Love you!
Kelly Ann

Anonymous said...

It is beautiful!!!!!!! I am so glad you had a successful garage sale and that you were able to use your profits to make that wall beautiful! Isn't it wonderful when we can make our home appealing?

I love to decorate as well and have really taken my time in this house. It is the first home we have bought and I didn't want to "trash" it up with clutter. So (*blushing*) it has taken me four years to go through and do the decorating themes (paint included) for my home. Although I still have a few things to finish up - I am thrilled with the finished product AND am so glad I took my time.

My husband commented to me numerous times (as I was complaining about needing the money to buy something or having the money and not finding anything that I loved) that he believed this was one of God's ways of teaching me the art of PATIENCE, something I am not too good at!

Anyhow - it looks great!

Anonymous said...

oh yeah - i think maybe i forgot to sign my comment since i have to post anonymously - the one about the person taking 4 years to get her house "decorated" was me -

Dee @ All the While

Christy said...

This is an awesome post ... God shows me how he has to get rid of one thing at a time in my life and fill it with what HE wants me to be, what HE'd have me to do... Your walls look great by the way and I love the colors you are decorating with. I am having my yard sale next weekend & I hope to make enough to replace the expense we have been out 'nesting'! Ha Ha! People always say a baby is so expensive and if you wait til you can afford it then it would never happen... the baby expensive ? Mine has been preparing for baby!

Wendy said...

It looks great! I love what you chose. And, how wonderful to be able to spend your garage sale money. I know exactly what you mean about decorating. We have lived in our current home for 3 years and just recently got a picture above our fireplace, but I am the same way..I want to put something I like there. I love decorating. I love HGTV and home makeover shows.

I love that the Lord teaches us more about Him and ourselves through the everyday little things and I love that when he does...you share it! Thanks.

Borbe Bunch said...

Amanda,
Your new decor is just marvelous!! Well worth the wait and how fun to use money YOU EARNED!!! The reward is great :)
Decorating our homes is so much fun and such a woman thing, huh? :) In time, we likewise are making our "rounds" to the different rooms...right now it is shower in our downstairs bath...not anything grand, just need a tub...anyways, LOVE the color of your walls...I am SUCH a blue gal!!! EVERYTHING I love is always... in blue, of ALL shades...
Thanks for the fun post!
IN HIM,
Liz

Borbe Bunch said...

Hi, just emailed you....having a sister is such a blessing...for real, she is a TREASURE, there is no one that does not LOVE my Melissa....You would just love her, she is the sweetest most thoughtful person I know....
and you are not a "comment hog" :) I love all the "chatting" :)
In his grace....Liz

Gwen said...

I love it!!!!!

Kate said...

We've been in our house for 6 years and it's been a very s-l-o-w process to get it decorted to how I really want it. But that's ok! Keeps me humble. ;)
BTW - where did you get those two hangings on the left and right? Are they made of iron or metal? They are gorgeous. I love that kind of stuff.

Barb said...

It looks really nice. What a difference and I can't believe you did it for so little money. You have good taste. And yeah, my end tables look just like that when the baby's here. He grabs everything!

keri said...

love the blue walls....and love the new wall decor. its amazing how something like that can change the whole look of a room. glad you got the extra money and were able to spend it on your hobby! yay!

This Journey of Mine said...

FMTR - It looks really nice! It seems that style really is your forte - both in a house and clothes for you and your kids! What a good gift to have.

Kate said...

Amanda - tell me tell me! Where'd ya get those wall sconces hanging on both sides of that picture?

Unknown said...

Oh I forgot to tell you Kate!! I got them at the Kirkland's outlet. Do you have a kirklands??? It is the bomb!! GREAT PRICES TOO!

Kate said...

Ahhh! I know there is a Kirklands at the mall but I am not sure about an outlet. I'll have to check into it - thanks for the info! They rock on your wall!

Anonymous said...

quick quesiton. I saw that you are a speaker. I am a 26 yr old christian gal that teaches in the inner-city. Who do yo speak to and what about. I'm not much of a blogger, but if you could send it to gina_steinhoff@dpsk12.org that would be great. thanks!