Wednesday, January 04, 2006

How many have you brought to Jesus?

For the past ten years of my life I have been hearing sermons on Dating, Marriage, Relationships, The Workplace, Raising Kids, Fear, Worry and every other kind of Life Applicable subject that is possible. Recently in our hunt for a church, I have realized how tired I am of those messages. I am desiring something more. If I haven't learned life application through God's word by now, then I haven't learned very much. I don't have it all figured out and I know God is still working on me and will never be finished working on me, but I can't help but think there is something more He wants me to get. The Great Commission.

Last week I stood in line at the store to buy my Son's birthday present. I noticed the clerk as she talked to each person that came through her line. She had a story to tell. I could see in her eyes how much pain she had endured and I could tell by her trembling, nervous hands that she had not always made the best choices for her life. Finally, it was my turn. There must have been something on my face that let her know she could tell me her life story in five minutes, because she did. I listened to her as she explained that she did not spend Christmas with her kids this year, she just left her husband a while back because they had done drugs together for so long, costing her custody of her children. Before I could say anything she said, "This year will be different. I am working on my life right now and I'm gonna get my babies back." As she was talking, I felt hopeless.
I kept thinking, "What would my Pastor say to this woman right now? Would he care that there is a line of people behind him? Would he be concerned about what others would think if he shared Jesus with her?" No. I know He would look straight at her and say, "Well sister, do you know Jesus?" I wasn't able to get those words out but I did say this. "Wow. It's sounds like you have been through a lot. I can tell you that the only person in my life that brings me peace is Jesus." Since that day last week, I can't get this clerk out of my head. I have prayed for her many times. Possibly I need to go back to that store, find her and bring her to church.

Last Sunday we heard a powerful message on Salvation. Right before the sermon began, I saw a young man walk in late. I see him every single week. He sits with a young man and young woman, in the same spot every week. It apprears that all three of them are single. For some reason, their faces come to my mind a lot. Usually when that happens, it means I am supposed to be praying for them.
So when one of the young men walked in late on Sunday morning, I got chill bumps. I did not understand why but my eyes instantly had tears in them. It seems that I have become so weepy these days so easily, especially at church. As I watched him sit down in his usual spot, next to his usual friends, I prayed for him. At the end of the sermon, many prayed to receive Christ. After doing so, the Pastor asked those that had prayed that prayer to come down to the front.
My heart began to pound as I looked up and saw the young man who came in late, walk down to the alter. You see that morning I prayed that He would find Jesus and He did.

We can plant seeds all day long, we can invite our friends, family and neighbor's to church all day long, but are we boldly professing Jesus to others? Many would say that approach can't be taken these days with this generation. You might scare them! Well, the only thing to be scared of is them going to hell. Maybe we all need to get out of our comfort zone and look for the lost. Actually you won't have to look very hard, they are everywhere. At the grocery store, at work, in our play groups, at our gym, next door, in your family.

I don't know about you, but I am praying for the opportunity to bring someone to Jesus. I haven't done it enough in life and I truly desire to win people to Jesus. Someday I hope to be in Heaven walking with Paul telling him wonderful stories of how I shared Jesus with lost people. This is what it's all about folks! You may be a new Christian, an old Christian, it doesn't matter. God has called you to spread the good news!

The Great Commission
16Then the eleven disciples left for Galilee, going to the mountain where Jesus had told them to go. 17When they saw him, they worshiped him--but some of them still doubted! 18Jesus came and told his disciples, "I have been given complete authority in heaven and on earth. 19Therefore, go and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit. 20Teach these new disciples to obey all the commands I have given you. And be sure of this: I am with you always, even to the end of the age."

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Mandi, it is so funny how things just seem to fall into place, and how certain sermons seem like they were made just for you. Things have been finally STARTING to feel like they might be heading in the right direction. My mom recently led me to this blog, and I passed it on to one of my friends. It was so funny how i didnt give it a second thought about giving it to her, but she wrote me back and said that it had meant so much to her, and that she really needed to read that blog that day. I dont even remeber what is was about, but you have truly insprired me. And i will continue to spread your blog, because it really does help put things into perspective. You are leading people to Jesus without even knowing it, You are bringing them closer to him. Isnt it funny how life works? We can do so much or mean so much to someone that we dont even realize. Touching lives is so special! Love ya'll!!!

Cara Bellah

Unknown said...

WOW! Cara, my sweet, most fun cousin!! I had no idea you were reading or your mom either. I knew I sent her a link but I did not know she ever read it. Thank you for sharing my blog with others. I am so amazed how God can use little me to spread hope. That's all I want to do and thank you for encouraging me. God has used you today to let me know that what he has placed inside of me is working in other's. I love you Cara! Hey, we go to church in Arlington now and you only live a few minutes away from me! We need to hang out!!!

Anonymous said...

I always thought my "call" was to minister "within" the 4 walls of the church. God threw me for a loop about 3 years ago when He spoke to me that He was going to take me outside the 4 walls of the church and that He was going to do a new thing. Sometimes we grow weary in well doing but we can never grow weary of telling the gospel of Jesus Christ. There are times when I feel "other Christians" drain us dry with junk -- things they can't get past. We can only minister so much but you have to get into the Word of God. We need to encourage others to get into the Word. It's not about us -- it's about HIM. There is nothing as refreshing as a brand new babe in the Lord. Do we forget that the Bible says Angels rejoice over the lost. Why don't we? Why don't we bring more to Jesus? Why do we not see there is a lost and dying world out there. There are Christians sitting on padded pews that keep draining us over silly petty stuff when there is a lost and dying world that needs US to share Jesus with them. I'm taking your blog as a challenge to begin to share Jesus more. Remember the words of the wise James Pierce -- God will never send you somewhere He has been before you to prepare the way. Pastor Scott and Pastor Bill have an awesome ministry and burning in their souls to see the lost saved. How blessed we are to be under their leadership. I love you. Mom

Anonymous said...

No kidding! Call us!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Cara

Unknown said...

OKAY AND YOU CALL US! BEFORE THE DAVIS REUNION! WE NEED TO START MEETING FOR VBALL PRACTICE SO WE CAN KICK SOME TAIL THIS YEAR.

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy for you, girl!! Whatever you've been through has sure made you a wonderful woman, and God is going to use you for great things...He already has. Looking at all your replies and all the women who look up to you and receive the Word in so many different ways...it's just awesome to see how your "blog" is touching so many lives. You sure have touched mine!! That's why we'll be "Girls for Life"...it's all about L.O.V.E.!!!!!

Unknown said...

Laura, that's right girl! Girls for life! I love it! I L.O.V.E. IT! It's "Amazing"! Right Tina??

Christy said...

Amanda, awesome post today! I once heard someone say.. don't worry about what others think of you, they didn't die for you and they aren't coming back for you. Bold but honest! We have got to win as many to the lord as we can. God bless!

Sonya Terrell said...

Great post Amanda! You know God works in mysterious ways. I had such a awful day yesterday, full of fear and self pity and yet....last night Andrew(my older son) got mad at his dad, left and walked(4 miles) to my house. We had some heated words and he even stomped out of my house for a little while. When he came back, there were a few more heated words and then I started talking to him about Christ and salvation and how it has changed my life and he just calmed down, asked a few questions and it ended with him telling me he would be willing to talk to Tim more about the subject.

WOW! Andrew never wants to talk to anyone about anything of importance and he wants to talk to Tim about Christ!!! He has no idea what exictement this brings to his mom.

God can take a day and just change it around, can't he?

Unknown said...

Just realize that you, as His Mom, will be the BEST person to teach Him and show Him how awesome God is! I love you Sonya.

Sonya Terrell said...

I agree Amanda. The only reason Christ is even a thought in Andrew's mind is because of the change he has seen in me. But sometimes things just are taken better when they are not coming from mom! Plus, Tim is really good at breaking things down into simple terms that a 19 yr. old will relate too.

Unknown said...

agree!