Thursday, August 10, 2006

Cravings (Part I)

One of the greatest joys of pregnancy has got to be eating a big, fat, juicy, cheeseburger without feeling one bit of guilt while doing so or after finishing. I have never had heart burn. I have no idea what heartburn even feels like. My mom tells me that if I did get it, I would know. So my love for spicy food has not been tossed aside while being pregnant. In fact, my love for hot, spicy things has only gotten worse. I crave it! That's why I love Whataburger! I can get a Cheeseburger with jalapenos. I can also get one of those at Sonic and Burger Box! Burger Box is an amazing place with amazing burgers and fries. If you live in the Dallas Fort Worth Metroplex, you should definitely make a trip to this burger joint. Every single time I am there, I see someone I know! Okay so back to the cravings. It's not that my cravings are weird. Pickles and Ice Cream is not something I would ever want. I'm not a big fan of ice cream, although I love pickles. But those two together sound disgusting! The things I crave never really fall under the strange category, the cravings are very specific. If I wake up and want a McDonald's hamburger for lunch, I guarantee you I will be eating a quarter pounder with cheese by day's end. McDonalds is a rare craving because I don't consider their burgers to be real burgers. But I do have that GREASE craving every once in a while. It may be Arby's I want or Long John Silvers or Taco Bueno. Just because I crave a hamburger doesn't mean it can be any hamburger. I will crave a specific hamburger at a specific hamburger place.

Sonic is one of my least favorite fast food places. When we built our first house four years ago, we lived in a town that was not developed. There was nothing! The only thing we had was a Sonic. So now I have to be pretty desperate to crave Sonic! My Mom loves Sonic. Last week my Mom came over so we could take the kids to the water park. But first we had to eat and the only thing we could agree on was Sonic because I knew I could get the kids grilled cheese. As I looked at the menu, I was stumped. There was nothing I saw that looked good. My mom said she was getting the Frito Pie Wrap. It sounded disgusting but she urged me to give a try. I did. I loved it! Loved it, loved it, loved it! Well this past Monday I woke up with a Frito Pie wrap at the forefront of my mind. No Taco Bell, no hamburgers, no Arby's please! Just give this girl a Frito Pie wrap and I will be good to go. The day was still young, way too young for a Frito Pie Wrap so the kids and I head out for a few errands. Daddy needed new shoes so we head to the Nike store. After that, the time was right, off to Sonic we go! I order what we need. The grilled cheese, the Sprites for the kids, the Dr. Pepper for me and the Frito Pie wrap that I have been thinking about half the day. Home is just a couple of miles away, I hate eating in the car! Especially with kids, especially when the "new" has not worn off the SUV I got in January and especially when it's 102 degrees outside! No matter how hungry I am, we are NOT eating in MY car!

Finally we are home! I've got the kids at the table all set up. I have my food in front of me. It's time to eat! I couldn't wait! As I unwrap that shiny, silver wrapping, I see it! My Frito Pie Wrap! I think I even sounded a bit like Rachel Ray for a moment. The excitement I was having over this food was a bit ridiculous. Rachel Ray goes nuts over her food! As a Mom you know the feeling of hunger that overwhelms you while you are trying to make sure the kids are set up with their food. It seems like it takes forever before you can finally sit down and enjoy. The moment had arrived. I bit into my wrap and instantly realized I was biting into scrambled eggs! I HATE SCRAMBLED EGGS with a passion. I can handle pretty much anything when it comes to eating but scrambled eggs is something I can't do. I adore Sushi while most people hate it. Yes, I love sushi but I hate scrambled eggs. Instead of a Frito Pie wrap, I am served a breakfast burrito. Since Sonic serves breakfast food all day long, it did not matter that I ordered at 12:30pm! Someone else ordered breakfast, someone else got my Frito Pie wrap and probably loved every bite of it. This was not something I could let slide. My kids were busy eating and right after that I would put them down for their three hour nap. There is no way I can load them back up in this awful, Texas heat, drive to Sonic and explain my situation to a teenage girl taking orders at Sonic! I decided to call and ask for the manager. The manager actually answered the phone. I was very nice. Maybe if I killed him with kindness , he would offer free delivery and bring my Frito Pie Wrap! This is what he tells me. "Oh we realized we made a mistake a few minutes after we gave you your order. The person that ordered the breakfast burrito hit the call button and told us about our mistake. We tried to find you but you had already left. Why don't you drive back up here and we will give you your Frito Pie Wrap?!" Despite how upset I was feeling, I remained calm and friendly. I explained that my kids were eating and that it would be a lot of trouble for me to load up my kids and come back. He took my name, wrote it in a book and told me that whenever I was ready I could come back and get my Frito Pie Wrap free of charge. When I hung up the phone, I was sad, disappointed and still very hungry. No, I did not eat the breakfast burrito! No, no, no, no, no! No scrambled eggs! That will never be a craving of mine.

All I wanted was my Frito Pie Wrap. I had a craving for it, I had a taste for it, that's what I wanted. Instead I got something unexpected, totally different than what I wanted. That my friends, is frustrating, disappointing and totally unsatisfying. Next time I will unwrap the shiny, silver, wrapping, then unwrap the wrap to make sure it is a Frito Pie Wrap and not a Breakfast Burrito wrap!

Can you guess what I will be eating for lunch today?

(This will all make sense tomorrow. That's why I have a part II!)

6 comments:

uuu said...

LOL!!! I will be waiting to see what part II brings.....

My Sonic story is a bit different. Growing up I loved Sonic. However, when we lived in WV and MD they didn't have any that were within 1 hr. Sorry - I like Sonic, but not enough to drive 1 hr. for. So when we moved to NC, I was thrilled to learn that we had not 1, but 2 (and now almost 3) Sonics!! We ate there SO much in our 1st year here, that we came to know most of the bellhops by name (*blushing with shame*). However, now, when the kids do want Sonic, I want to GAG!!! :) Knowing my luck, having posted this about how I dislike Sonic, when I am pregnant next (hopefully sometime this fall) I will crave Sonic's Extra Long Cheese Coney ALL THE TIME! lol!

Sarah said...

being pregnant sounds like fun!
and how come you don't like ice cream??!!!
i like it bu for some weird reason I prefer it during winter time.

anyhoo, haha i cracked up reading this post:)

Christy said...

I've been craving Market Place... went and it was horrible.. something is really wrong with my taste buds! Has this happend to anyone else? I am at the point I have to eat and nothing sounds good!

Anonymous said...

I am on a Taco Bell Bean burrito with no red sauce but green sauce kick....I could eat them everyday and never grow tired...I am the worst about checking my food...and it is such a let down to get home with the wrong food..I got nervous just reading, wondering when you were going to get to eat that wrap! LOL!!

Cara

Paula said...

Man I hate it when the order is wrong and I have already driven away. I hope they get it right next. Enjoy all the food you want. i figure I worry about it ALL the time, I'm NOT going to while pregnant. Good for you!

Wendy said...

That is always such a bummer when that happens! Or, simple things like not getting a straw when you are on the road.

My craving during pregnancy would have to be ice cream!