Saturday, December 03, 2005

Another "Women's Event"???

I just got home from a Christmas Tea with my Mother. Her church hosted a Christmas Tea for the women in the church and for their guests. "Tidings of Joy" they called it and I must say that it truly held up to it's name. I have been to so many different women's events at many different churches. A lot of times they are all the same and you pretty much know what to expect. Honestly, I was going because I could get out of the house without the kids, dress up and feel pretty for a while and my Mom asked me to go and help decorate her table she hosted. All week I have looked at this event as something on my calendar that I had to do because I had committed to doing it. Never did I expect to truly enjoy myself so much. The room was gorgeous and every table had been decorated for Christmas in the most beautiful ways. Many women brought their finest dishes and glassware to use for their table. The center pieces were exquisite, the food was delicious, the coffee and tea was warm and satisfying. Everything was a delight in appearance. No surprises there! Usually at all Women's Ministry events, women put on their best face, their best outfit, carry their best purse, use their best dishes and greet with their best smile. As women, we all know how important we make this sometimes. It's tiring, it's often fake and it's so not about who we are as women. But this morning as I drank my coffee and ate my quiche, I felt something different.

Despite the fine dishes, the fine decorations and the fine women, there was a fine sincerity. From teenagers to mothers to grandmothers, the women were laughing, hugging and celebrating two hours they had away from home. It was nice. It was peaceful. It was refreshing and I was surprisingly amazed at how much I enjoyed something I thought would be just another "Women's event"!

It's always good to laugh. Not just chuckle or giggle but LAUGH! The kind of laughing that might make you wet yourself! The kind of laugh that comes from the belly and might make you cry! Well, I laughed this morning too. There was a skit that my own Mother was in. In fact, she had the starring role. I never knew she was so funny! I never knew she was THAT comfortable in front of people! I never knew she could drink Vanilla straight out of the bottle! (you had to be there to understand that one!)

It's always good to hear from the Lord. Not just hear him a little or think you heard Him. Not just kind of hear from Him but REALLY HEAR FROM THE LORD! Well, I heard from the Lord this morning too. Now I have to admit a negative thought to you first. When it comes to "Women's events" I sometimes worry about the speaker choice. What can a speaker say that I have not already heard? We have heard sad stories, we have heard miracle stories, we have heard salvation stories so what can she say that I have not already heard? Ahhhhhhhh. The speaker was a breath of fresh. She actually said something that was so timely, so perfect, so anointed, so incredibly fitted for my life right this very moment.

Being encouraged when you don't expect it, sure takes your breath away. Forgive me Lord for dreading it. I was blessed with "Tidings of Joy!"

Mom, Candi and Morgan, you made it even better!
Laughing has helped me today and made me appreciate how far I have come and God helped me tear down a little bit more of my wall. It felt good to be social again!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I thank you for the reply. I have alot of pain too. Just don't know how to not feel it. I know there is purpose for me but i have waited so long and have had alot to bear. sometimes I wish for other people's bad times because to me that sounds good. i feel very connected to you. I feel like you are an answer that I need. I am reading all of your stories over again because i feel like i am supposed to. thanks for helping me.