Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Philippians 4

5Let everyone see that you are considerate in all you do. Remember, the Lord is coming soon.

There are times in life when situations come up and we have every right to be mad or angry. The other day I was walking towards a line at a check out stand in Wal Mart. It was obvious to anyone watching that I was headed for a particular line. Out of no where, two teenage girls, jump in front of me and cut in line. I wanted so badly to say something under my breath but loud enough for them to hear. Anger instantly erupted on the inside. Quickly I got a hold of myself and remembered my duty as a child of God. Yes, that probably sounds pretty churchy and goody goody but that's the only thing that kept my mouth shut. My flesh was ready to fight! But the spirit won!

6Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. 7If you do this, you will experience God's peace, which is far more wonderful than the human mind can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus.

Those that know me pretty well know that I have conquered a huge sin in my life over the past couple of years, worry. My middle name was worry. I worried about everything. Now I am not saying that I never worry because I do. But the worry does not control me like it used to. But this verse I quoted many times when frozen in fear. The verse is one I can never forget. I memorized it while in Junior High school and then in High School it became significant again. In Chemistry class I sat next to a really cute football player. Secretly I had a crush on him but I knew he would never like me. I was a church girl and not the most popular. But since I had such a crush on him, I really kind of cared about him in a weird sort of way. We both hated Chemistry and struggled a lot with the exams. One day I looked over at him while he was studying and his eyes looked like they were watering. Maybe he was this big football player crying, I don't know. But he was upset. I still remember what he said, something like this. "I'm gonna fail this test because I don't understand any of it!" At that point I took out a note card and wrote Philippians 4:6-7 and said "Memorize this! It will help you with everything!" The next day he came to Chemistry class and said, "I read that Bible verse." He then quoted it to me. I am not sure if he still remembers this. I pray that this verse has helped him many times.

8And now, dear brothers and sisters, let me say one more thing as I close this letter. Fix your thoughts on what is true and honorable and right. Think about things that are pure and lovely and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise

At times I really struggle with this verse or at least applying it to my life. Do I really understand that the Lord KNOWS my thoughts. Lord, help me to fix my eyes on what is true and not what I "think" is true. Help me to have thoughts that are pure. I pray that my thoughts will be honorable to you. I pray that I can think the best of people and not let my mind be consumed with negativity.

10How grateful I am, and how I praise the Lord that you are concerned about me again. I know you have always been concerned for me, but for a while you didn't have the chance to help me. 11Not that I was ever in need, for I have learned how to get along happily whether I have much or little. 12I know how to live on almost nothing or with everything. I have learned the secret of living in every situation, whether it is with a full stomach or empty, with plenty or little. 13For I can do everything with the help of Christ who gives me the strength I need. 14But even so, you have done well to share with me in my present difficulty.

Lord, I long to sing during the pain. I don't want to rely on the moments or events to make me happy. When the flowers have yet to bloom, I pray that I may rejoice. When the flowers are blooming big and bright colors, I pray that I may rejoice. Lord, remind me to rejoice at all times.

10 comments:

Christy said...

great post!

V. said...

6Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. 7If you do this, you will experience God's peace, which is far more wonderful than the human mind can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus.

Am I ever trying to live this one out. I too, have become better at NOT worrying, but I know that I still weigh things too heavily in my mind.

We too, are in the middle of a financial crisis and our only hope is God! I stop myself from praying incorrectly because I know my motivation for praying is to stop the pain - stop the anguish. God doesn't promise us no pain...I have to stick with his promises and those will have to carry us through!

Unknown said...

Thank you V for your comments. I look up to you so much. I gain so much insight from you and your spiritual depth is challenging. Thank you. I will pray for you! You are a precious friend.

V. said...

aww..here I am feeling spiritually dried up...wondering if I can get any of it right, and you jump in with a few kinds words.

Thank you my friend. I'm going to go cry now.

I just need more of Jesus...oh how I need more of him and less of me.

V.

Sarah said...

6Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. 7If you do this, you will experience God's peace, which is far more wonderful than the human mind can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus.


Oh we so long for God's peace.! Sometimes I have it and let it get away.

I should make it an aim to constantly seek HIS PEACE.

momteacherfriend said...

It lost my comment from yesterday....:P

Amanda have you considered continueing with Colossians? I have heard it said it is the corn in popcorn. Let me know.

May repost my thoughts later...I did read.

Anonymous said...

You are such a BOLD Christian - I admire that! I LOVE that you gave this cute, football playing guys you had a crush on a Bible Verse!
Not many young girls would do that!
I smiled when I read that!!

Nancy

Anonymous said...

I read.

Kellie said...

V10 But I rejoiced in the Lord greatly, that now at the last your care of me hath flourished again; wherein ye were also careful, but ye lacked opportunity.

I was just thinking of how when I am feeling down I can't list anyone who cares for me. I even believe the lie that satan is feeding me that even GOD is not my friend or tangible. But this verse reminded me that there are those who love me even when they have no oppurtunity to express it.

The HOLY SPIRIT told me to look at my feelings for others. How I love so many people, and many are not even a day to day part of my life. Missionaries whom I pray for, childhood friends who have moved on, family members I never see, etc. I can't be the only one feeling this way about other people so HE said that others still love me even when I am not around. And HE said to never let go of the fact that HE loves me.

Amanda, I am learning what it means when someone is a blessing to someone else. Because of you. I have now identified so many blessings in my life. Many of which I have met here. You are a blessing to me not just to minister to my spirit but because I am so joyed that you desire to help as many as possable. It makes me smile when I see you encouraging someone or hear that you are praying for someone. I love you. Keep your eyes to the hills. I have found that when I am down to physically look up actually brings me up. The sky even when cloudy shows us a glimps of GOD'S hugeness.

Seeker4Christ said...

v. 6&7 are again refreshing when you read in a different version. I grew up learning NIV, but I think I tend to zone out when reading esp. verses like this that I have read so many times before. It's all about God making His Word come alive to us, isn't it? He says that His Word shall not return void and I know this is becoming true in my life. The more I dive into His Word and spend time with Him meditating on the Greatness of who He is, the less I am distracted by the world, all it thinks it has to offer, by my anger, doubt, anxiety, etc. All those things I listed a few weeks ago that were struggles are still there, but God's light is shining so brightly on them that their appeal has become dull and their shadows are so small that I believe God is giving me a handle on them -- through Him and Him alone. If I start to wander or my time with Him wavers, then those problems grow like a germ in a petri dish. (LOL!) Seriously, though. His peace is wonderful. PTL! He is so worthy of all our praise!