Sunday, June 04, 2006

Stomach Flu, Dallas Mavericks, etc.

As I placed my items on the counter to be scanned, the cashier at CVS pharmacy could tell things were not going my way. Was it the look on my face or the items I purchased? A can of Lysol, three quarts of Gatorade, Pepto-Bismol, Vitamin Water-Energy (my new kick), Clorox Bleach Wipes and Hand Sanitizer must have given him some sort of clue as to what was going on in my home. "Someone sick?" I wanted to answer with "Yes, you! If you don't wash your hands as soon as I walk away, you're next!" Instead I decided to be nice and probably share way too much information with this sweet Manager at CVS. "My husband has thrown up fifteen times, my daughter has been throwing up too. I don't have it and my son doesn't have it. So I shipped my son to grandparents to try and protect him and I am praying just about every second that I don't get it because I am pregnant." And did I mention that Ava Beth was with me? I couldn't leave her at home because Jeremy couldn't take care of her. So I had to take the poor thing with me. I am quite sure this guy lathered himself up in sanitizer after we walked out the door! I did tell him he should use some! He laughed. Hopefully he is still laughing and not puking!

So it was supposed to be a fun weekend! I went out with a girlfriend on Friday night and that was fun. I knew Ava Beth wasn't feeling great but just like any other Mother of a seventeen month old, I assumed it was teething! Isn't that what it always is? Then I went back over to my girlfriend's house on Saturday and watched two of her four children while she had a day of fun. Ava Beth was at home with Jeremy so I got to enjoy relaxing in the pool while the kids swam (actually they floated in water wings & life jackets). I soaked up the sun and thought about the Dallas Mavericks winning all day long (seriously I did). It was all going great until the phone rang. "Babe, Ava Beth is throwing up and I feel sick too." This is the same Ava Beth that I kissed on the mouth at least a hundred times the day before. And this is my husband who I have also kissed! And both of you are getting sick? Well, I decided to continue enjoying the pool in my friend's backyard and not worry about the sickness at home. About an hour later, the phone rang again. "Babe, when are you coming home? I am sick. I can't stop throwing up and Ava Beth is in to everything!" Well, needless to say I got home soon after and the fun has finally stopped. We have been puke free in the Hayes home since 1pm today. We haven't been totally free of the other, if you know what I mean but I am beginning to feel like tomorrow will be better. Lord, PLEASE do not let me or Josiah get sick!

Now, I have to remind you of something. I am pregnant. So cleaning up vomit and changing liquid diapers does not help my constant state of nausea that I currently have from pregnancy. It's hard for me to tell if I am getting sick because I feel sick pretty much all the time. The Lord has definitely given me a supernatural amount of strength. I have wanted to get this sickness out of my house so bad that I have used almost a half a can of lysol, I have scrubbed bathrooms, cleaned baseboards and sanitized everything. Oh and I have done a butt load of laundry! I think Jeremy is enjoying watching me clean so much! Every single time I have changed a diaper or cleaned up my child's vomit (Jeremy can make it to the bathroom in time, thank you God!) I have prayed, "Lord, please don't let me throw up, please don't let me throw up, please Lord, please!" I never did throw up and I am praying that we are in the clear. Mom says Josiah is not acting sick so that is a praise!

Did I mention my Dallas Mavericks small watching party that I had planned for Saturday night? Well, it was canceled. Yep, Josiah and I watched the game by ourselves. When they won, I couldn't call my Dad because he was sick too. Yes he shared his snow cone with Ava Beth the night before. Same spoon! He probably will never do that again! So I couldn't call my Dad and scream and yell over the victory! I thought maybe telling Jeremy would cheer him up or make him feel a little better but when I entered the bedroom which had been quarantined, I put my shirt over my nose and mouth and quietly shared the exciting news. "Babe, they won! We are going to play in the NBA Championship!" I knew he didn't feel well but he didn't have to be so rude! "Babe, get out of here. PLEASE." UGH! Proudly I was wearing my Mavs T-Shirt that I had just bought and a big GO MAVS sign was in our yard so with the cancellation of the party, I was ticked! No one to be excited with me! Josiah was asleep, Ava Beth sick and asleep, my Dad puking, Jeremy puking, no one around to be happy with me! So I called my brother in Seattle, he was happy but I could tell he was not near as stoked as me. At least I had church to look forward to.

I washed my Mavs shirt and Josiah's Mavs shirt so we could wear them to church today. Yes, I was going to wear a Mavericks Tshirt to church! But you have to see this shirt to understand. It's a girl shirt, it has the Mavericks on it in glitter writing! And I was planning on accessorizing! I could make it work for church, trust me! BUT, when I got up this morning I found out that Jeremy had been up all night throwing up. There was no way I could go to church and leave him home with Ava Beth. So I stayed home with my sick babies.

Yes, yes, yes, I would love for you all to pray that Josiah and I will continue to be healthy and stomach virus FREE! My mom knows how hard it is for me to get to her salon since I have my kids all day so she agreed to highlight my hair at her house tomorrow. I will have both kids with me but it will be easier at her house. Josiah is already there so AB and I will drive over tomorrow morning. Highlights always make a Mom feel better!

Despite the diarrhea and vomit, the Mavericks win made my weekend! Avery Johnson, I am still praying for you and the team!

FOUR MORE WINS TO GO!

(Mavs fans, click here to read Mark Cuban's blog about the series against the Suns.)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the new baby on the way! Sorry to hear your family is ill though.

I am behind on all my reading since summer school started.

Take care of you!
Nancy

Seeker4Christ said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Seeker4Christ said...

Our family has the stomach flu as well! We seem to get sick a lot on Saturdays, keeping us from going to church. Read more about that on my blog. BTW, does anyone know how to break down strongholds?

Glad to hear your mavs won, and congrats on your pregnancy. "We serve an awsome God" does not begin to describe the reason why God has helped you clean up after your family's flu in your first trimester! GOD ROCKS!
(Sorry to delete the other post; I found a spelling error, and wanted to add to my comment, too.)