Monday, May 08, 2006

John 11

God's timing seems to be one of the hardest things to rest in. Some wait to find the love of their life. Some wait to become pregnant. Some wait for the perfect job. All of us are usually waiting on something. If I had a nickel for every single time someone said, "It's all in God's timing," I really would be rich. As generic as the statement may sound, I have learned that it really is true. God's timing is perfect.

In John, chapter 11 we learn about Lazarus, a very sick man. Mary and Martha, Lazarus' sisters, sent a message to Jesus telling him that their brother was sick. When Jesus heard about the news he said "Lazarus's sickness will not end in death. No, it is for the glory of God. I, the Son of God, will receive glory from this." But still Jesus stayed where he was and did not leave. At this point I like to get in the head of Mary and Martha. I am sure they thought as soon as Jesus found out about Lazarus, he would come instantly to heal him. But, he didn't. He stayed. In fact, he stayed where he was for two more days. Finally he got his disciples and went to Lazarus. When he arrives, Mary takes Jesus to the grave of Lazarus. Jesus says, "Roll the stone aside." And Martha quickly tells him that the smell in the grave will be horrible because he's been dead for four days. Well, you know the end of the story. Lazarus is raised from the dead.

This story always intrigues me. It shows me how God's timing is so crucial to every single situation in our lives. Jesus didn't have to wait for Laz to die. He could have healed him while he was sick but he waited for him to die. He waited until Laz was dead for four days, then he brought him back to life. Because he waited, the people saw God's glory.

We want God to give us what we want instantly but sometimes what we need is to see God's glory. It may look like no hope is in sight. You may be thirty-five years old and still waiting to find a husband or wife. You may have been trying for a baby for several years and still no pregnancy. There is no rain in sight, the flowers look dead and your life seems like it's nothing but a big drought. Keep holding on! His timing is perfect.

What is the Lazarus in your life? Keep asking the Lord for your miracle, don't give up. His plan for your life is bigger than you could ever imagine! Just as soon as you think your dream is dead, He will raise it from the dead!

-Amanda

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOVED YOUR POST!!! I ALWAYS SAY THE SAME THING...IT WILL HAPPEN WHEN GOD FEELS ITS TIME.

This is Patti said...

While reading your post, a Lazarus popped in my mind. For years, I thought my husband would never become a real spiritual leader for our family. Praise God it did happen, all in God's good time!

Anonymous said...

I'm right there with you Amanda! Love you!

All I Read Today: John 11
Best Thing I Marked: John 11:3-6

Thought: "So the sisters sent word to Jesus, 'Lord, the one you love is sick.' When he heard this, Jesus said, 'This sickness will not end in death. No it is for God's glory so that God's Son may be glorified through it.' Jesus loved Martha and her sister and Lazarus. Yet when he heard that Lazarus was sick, he stayed where he was two more days."

How It Impressed Me: These verses are evidence once again of God's perfect timing. Jesus loved Lazarus very much, yet he had to let him die so that God's glory could be maximized. When I am waiting for an answer or I believe God isn't listening, I pray this can become my mindset. Every situation sits perfectly on God's timeline so that He can be glorified and known to those around us. God - help me remember this! Your timing is perfect! In all things...

Christy said...

AWESOME, I love this and needed it SO much! I know, I know, I always say this but this one is the best!

momteacherfriend said...

V40 Then Jesus said "Did I not tell you that if you believed, you would see the glory of God?"

What do we need to do to see the glory of God- BELIEVE! Let's do it!

Another verse that struck me was V12 "Lord if he sleeps, he will get better." If only we took the time to rest when we get sick. For sleep will make one better.

Kellie said...

I have always been impressed with the fact that GOD brings us back from beyond the point of no return. Death seems so final. Our carnal minds can only understand it that way. With GOD the end is never the end. HE is the beginning and the END! Never let the circumstances tell you that all is lost and even if the horrable happens HE is still going to use it for HIS glory.

mommyofangels said...

My Lazarus.... Selling of my house. If we could just downsize, and move to Arlington, I'd be able to do so much more with my family and church. It's been on the market since March with only 3 lookers.... Lord, I will continue to wait.

Leslie said...

Right now, I don't think I'm keeping up with God's timing :)

Loved this post.