Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Thank God I'm not in High School anymore!

Over the past couple of days I have re-connected with several high school classmates. Some friends, some acquaintances, some that I never really knew. But something we had in common was our High School, so chatting is quite easy! As I have sent messages to some of these folks through myspace, I have been a bit nervous. You never know! What will they remember? Was I nice? Was I rude to this person? It's been eleven years since graduation and I now have two kids, how on earth can I remember my interactions with every single classmate? What the heck, I take a chance. It's been fun talking about old times, old teachers, old classmates. Tonight I got a message from someone that I went to High School with but never hung out with. The way myspace works is pretty simple. You can find their profile and then send a message to them, kind of like an email. Tonight I got one asking, "Did your last name used to be ____?" I couldn't tell who was asking me by the profile so I bravely said, "Yes." Anxiously I awaited a reply and got one. "I remember you. We were in the same Geometry class. You were always so sweet to me and I remember you were a singer." She also told me who she was and I remembered her instantly. Her statement actually made me smile very big. It was a relief. For back in those days I didn't like myself at all, so how I am remembered for being sweet, I will never know.

I wasn't able to go to my ten year reunion last year. It happened to fall right in middle of us moving so there was no possible way I could attend. But one of my best friends Kelly Ann did go and so I got the full report from her. I wanted details! Who was there? What did they look like? Are they married? Do they have kids? Are they still totally gorgeous? Much to my surprise, Kelly Ann said, "Everyone's pretty much the same."

Well I think she's right. In High School I sure didn't think I was sweet, I thought everyone hated me. Some days they probably did. Today, I still don't think I'm sweet and I still have days where I think everyone hates me. Some days they probably do. Even though some things are the same, a few things have changed.

1. I don't have to be a cheerleader to get the guys to like me. I have a wonderful guy and he adores me and I adore him. As bad as I wanted to be like those girls, I just wasn't and never will be. But, I no longer want to be someone else. I want to be ME, the REAL ME. And that's honest folks!

2. I'm not obsessed with name brands. Well I do have to have Cottenelle toilet paper and Cheer laundry detergent and Downy fabric softener. And I can't handle Dr. Thunder, it has to be Dr, Pepper! For crying out loud I have a fake Louis Vuitton purse and someone gave it to me. I have fake LV luggage too! My husband calls it the "FLV" which stands for the FAKE Louis Vuitton! When someone comments on it, I quickly say "It's fake!" For I have learned that I am not comfortable acting or trying to be something that I am not. I can't afford a $1,400 purse and I'm not up for acting like I can. That's a relief because I spent too much time in high school trying to be someone else.

3. I don't care of anyone is gathered around the lockers talking about me. Girls will be girls but if my name happens to be the topic of gossip, I'm not gonna freak out over it. For I have learned that it really and truly doesn't matter what people think about me. My hair changes a lot, I am loud sometimes, I talk a lot, and I am extremely dramatic when telling a story and sometimes I even get a little winy. So gather around the lockers and talk, I will be okay. Really, I will be okay.

4. I feel loved. I feel needed. I feel wanted. I feel appreciated. I feel accepted. Now any teenager walking around today that feels all five of those things has to be a supernatural teenager. You just don't feel all of those things in the teen years. But, now I know that all of those things are true for my life.

5. I can forgive. Back in High School forgiveness took a while to take place among the ladies. You have a little tiff and it takes a long time to get things right. But, now the Lord has taught me that I have to HURRY and forgive. It's sometimes hard, especially if you have been done wrong, but we have to do it! I have to do it. But back in High school I could just give you a roll of the eyes and be done with you. Not anymore.

So there you go! It may seem a bit silly but God is just always teaching me so much stuff and I love to share it with you. I have to say, I am so glad we are not in High school anymore. How about you?

-Amanda

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah I am glad I am not in High School anymore. I still stay in contact with one friend from High School and the funny thing is back then we were not as close as we are now. I wish I woud have been all the things you mentioned in point 4 but I was not -life would have been allot easier ;o))
I flew under the radar allot b/c I was self concious (sp?) - I thought I was fun to be around and funny - but I was afraid to BE that b/c I did not want to draw attention to myself.
Yep - very glad those days are gone ;o))
Nancy

Christy said...

We have alot in common from HS... I thank God I am not that person anymore and I am free ---

momteacherfriend said...

Class of 95 represent..lol
Hmmm, yeah I am so glad those days are done!
I enjoyed Marching band, gymnastics and accepting Christ. All the other stuff...BLAH!

Anonymous said...

Awesome post with several very true points.

Some things were so hard to accept in high school, but hindsight has put them all in perspective.

I didn't go to our ten year either but I heard the same thing you did from my friends - hardly anyone has changed.


Thank God we all got through those years!

Anonymous said...

Well, it's only been 3 yrs since I left HS, so I have to say at times there are some things I greatly miss about it. Mainly just the friends there. But overall I know there are things God has taught me by just being out. I wouldn't trade the things he has taught me for going back at all. Also, I'm now 21 and still the things you mention in #4 are difficult to know all the time. I wish I did feel all five of these things all the time but I can't say that I do yet. For me, my life in college (not with school but in general) is far harder than in HS. I'm still learning many of the things that God has already taught you. But I am glad to have you in my life to learn from.

D said...

I'm glad to know that the days of feeling unwanted and having to have brand name clothes and caring so much about what everyone thinks will eventually be gone--- 17/fe