Monday, May 01, 2006

John 6

Good morning. I hope that all of you had a relaxing weekend. Sometimes you have to force yourself to relax instead of making your weekend a time to catch up on chores. We all need rest, true rest. This morning I woke up early like I normally do and my kids, who usually sleep until almost 9am, decided to wake up early as well. My time is a little distracted this morning with sounds of Winnie the Pooh in the background. But a Mom has to do what a Mom has to do!

Chapter 6 has a lot that spoke to me so since I am wanting to keep this short and simple, I will highlight only a couple.

5When Jesus looked up and saw a great crowd coming toward him, he said to Philip, "Where shall we buy bread for these people to eat?" 6He asked this only to test him, for he already had in mind what he was going to do. I have heard many people say that God does not test us. But right here I believe that it proves that He does. Right now we are trying to teach our three year old how to recognize words. We are want him to be able to read before he gets to kindergarten so we work on it with him a lot. The only way he can learn how to read is for me to test him. "Josiah, what word is this? Can you say this word?" I am not asking him to help me out, for I already know the word. Not only do I know what the word is but I know how to say it, how to spell it and I know the meaning of the word. But if I don't test him on the things he has learned, how can he possibly remember? Through this scripture I believe that God has showed me that he does test me. He gives me opportunities to exercise my faith. Otherwise, what good is it? In this chapter, Jesus already knew how he would feed the five thousand.

16When evening came, his disciples went down to the lake, 17where they got into a boat and set off across the lake for Capernaum. By now it was dark, and Jesus had not yet joined them. 18A strong wind was blowing and the waters grew rough. 19When they had rowed three or three and a half miles,[b] they saw Jesus approaching the boat, walking on the water; and they were terrified. 20But he said to them, "It is I; don't be afraid." 21Then they were willing to take him into the boat, and immediately the boat reached the shore where they were heading. I love this verse! This is how I like to view Jesus because he has protected me so much in my life from danger. This goes back to my testimony and things I experienced as a child. He protected me. He was there during those times saying, "Mandi, I am here. Don't be afraid my precious child."

Thank you Lord for your word. This morning brings a fresh start Lord. Renew our minds and help us to see you in everything we do. You still walk on water and you still provide just as you did the for the five thousand. You are the same God today that you were then! Thank you Lord for you son, Jesus Christ. I pray that we can all experience you in a very personal way. Father I ask you to show these women how the Word is changing them. Help them to know that it really is making a difference in their lives. I pray that as the word fills our lives that you will give us boldness to share Jesus with others. Clear our minds today and help us to focus on you. Thank you Jesus for changing my life. I love you. In Jesus name. Amen!

7 comments:

Kellie said...

I read. I am short on time as well. Love you all and am praying for anyone who comes to mind today.

momteacherfriend said...

V28Then they asked him, "What must we do to do the works God requires?"
29Jesus answered, "The work of God is this: to believe in the one he has sent."

Believe, that is the work we are to do.

V38For I have come down from heaven not to do my will but to do the will of him who sent me.

To do His will, by faith, believing him at His Word. How many time do I want to go about my day, my way. How many times do I doubt instead of believe?

V69We believe and know that you are the Holy One of God."

Lord, you indeed are the Holy One. Jesus you are indeed the Son of God. I believe! I believe you at your word. You are who you say you are, you can do what you say you can do. Help me to obey your Word and walk in your ways. Your will, not mine. Speak clearly that I may have ears that hear. I thank you for how you speak to me, guiding me and showing me your ways. I love you Lord! I thank you that the gift of one boy fed a multitude. That my gifts to you, you can bless and change the world. Let it be so. Change the world through my obedience. Thank you that there was not just ENOUGH but there was an overabundance. I praise you that you take what we offer, bless it and multiply it to meet the need, so much that there is leftovers to see.
Provision. You are awesome!

Anonymous said...

I read ! Please see my blog to view my thoughts.

Anonymous said...

All I Read Today: John 6
Best Thing I Marked: John 6:66

Thought: "From this time many of his disciples turned back and no longer followed him."

How It Impressed Me: In this chapter we see two of Jesus' most notable miracles. He fed the five thousand with only 2 fish and 5 loaves of bread and he walked on water to reach his disciples. He then parallels himself to the bread the people had eaten the day before, claiming to be the True Bread of Heaven and the Bread of Life. The followers surrounding Jesus wanted more, but not of what he was offering them. He offered salvation and eternal life through believing in him - not salvation through rules, works and good deeds. (On a side note...sometimes I think we might prefer a works based relationship with God. We can check off our list each day and know exactly where we stand. Instead, we have a relationship with God with no check list. We have to trust and seek him every day. TRUST - It's harder and we have to want it!) He offered them an eternal kingdom in heaven, but they wanted a mighty, conquering king to avenge them now. What Jesus preached wasn't easy stuff. It's still not easy to digest now. After realizing what Jesus expected of them, many of his disciples left. The 12 still remained, but when the going got tough...some followers bailed. Since accepting Jesus at age 16 I have never regretted my decision nor have I ever wanted to turn my back on Him and walk away. I have discovered in recent days, however, that I struggle with quitting (or not trying at all) when something is hard. Upon asking God to reveal what needs to be destroyed in my life, He showed me the above revelation. I have to be careful what I ask for!! :) I no longer want to be the one who runs when things are hard or not what I want to hear. The truth is still the truth and all truth is God's. Every situation holds a life lesson, holds an opportunity to glorify God or disgrace His character. God - I don't want to be a runner any more!! Help me find my peace and confidence in you. Teach me to more like you every day. I pray you ready my heart for your lessons. I can't do this without you!!

Gwen said...

I have read today and for the first time I will post a few thoughts on my blog.

Christy said...

I will catch up tonight and tomorrow night reading :0) Loved the pics you sent to me!

mommyofangels said...

My provider, Jesus as the Bread of Life--the one who not only gives life but sustains it. I know that He will always take care of me, no matter what. He loves me that much. Through any problems or troubles I will look to Him to sustain me.